Be Healthy Bucks offers healthy lifestyle support for Buckinghamshire residents including weight management, smoking cessation, reducing alcohol consumption, and NHS health checks.
Participants must be a Buckinghamshire resident and/or registered with a Buckinghamshire GP practice.
The other eligibility criteria have been determined using clinical evidence, best practice and are focussed on identified preventable long-term (chronic) health conditions.
Adult Weight Management criteria
- Must be aged 16 or over. (13–15-year-olds can also attend with parental agreement)
- BMI over 30 or over 28 for Black, Asian and other minority ethnic groups
- BMI over 28, where health conditions are affected by their weight. These conditions include type 2 diabetes; hypertension; cardiovascular disease; osteo-arthritis; dyslipidaemia; COPD; and sleep apnoea.
Use this quick and easy tool to calculate BMI.
Participants who don’t comply with the criteria will not be eligible to access the service. However, they can access alternative provision through the dietetic service, or their GP as appropriate.
Also, any participants who:
- Have an eating disorder
- Have an underlying medical cause for obesity and would benefit from more intensive clinical management than a tier 2 service
- Have significant co-morbidity or complex needs as identified by their GP or other healthcare professionals.
should be excluded from this service:
Child Weight Management criteria
- Children and young people aged between 7 and 13-years old
- BMI over 91st centile.
- Children and young person who have an eating disorder
- Individuals with an underlying medical cause for obesity who would benefit from more intensive clinical management than a tier 2 service
- Children with more complex needs such as learning difficulties and mental health issues should be considered on a case by case basis.
Smoking Cessation criteria
- All smokers aged 12 years-old and over
- Anyone wishing to only take a Harm Reduction approach to tobacco use e.g. cutting down
Alcohol Reduction Support criteria
- Must be aged 18 year-old who score 8-15 on Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT)
- Anyone of an AUDIT score of 16 or above should be referred to Adult Drug and Alcohol specialist treatment service.
- Anyone 17 or under should be referred to the young persons Drug and Alcohol specialist treatment service.
NHS Health Checks criteria
- Must be 40 -74 years-old and has not had an NHS Health Check in the last 5 years
- Anyone with the following conditions: coronary heart disease, chronic kidney disease, diabetes, previous stroke, hypertension, atrial fibrillation, transient ischaemic attack (TIA), peripheral arterial disease, familial hypercholesterolemia
- Anyone taking statins
- Anyone on the High-Risk register – previous checks have found that you have a 20% or higher risk of getting cardiovascular disease over the next 10 years.
Early Years criteria
- Anyone living in Buckinghamshire, or registered with a Buckinghamshire GP practice, with a child aged 0-5 years-old.
If you’d like further clarification of eligibility before you refer a patient, please contact us.