Making healthy lifestyle changes doesn’t mean your children have to stop snacking. However, it can be helpful to encourage mindful snacking.
Are they snacking out of boredom, habit or thirst? Are they actually hungry?
Top tips for snack routines:
- Think about your portion sizes- you can read our handy guide on portion sizes
- Have two healthy snacks per day – we’ve prepared some snack ideas below
- Plan your children’s snacks for each week – this will help you prepare for when they’re asking for something to eat
Healthy snack ideas
- Veggie sticks (cucumber, pepper, carrots, baby corn) with two spoons of reduced-fat dips
- 3 breadsticks
- 2 rice cakes
- 1 small toasted pitta
- 1 crumpet
- 1/2 bagel with low-fat spread
- A small bowl of home-made popcorn
- Piece or bowl of fruit
- Handful of plain nuts and dried fruit mix
- 150 ml of homemade fruit smoothie.